Hi folks. I’m Paul. I’m a front-end developer who loves the web. I’m always thinking a lot about how to make you more productive with tools that improve your workflow help you make slicker, sexier, mobile web sites and webapps.
I work on the Google Chrome team focused on Developer Tooling. Chrome DevTools and everything else Chrome can do to make you a productive web developer.
I’ve developed tools like Modernizr, Yeoman, CSS3 Please and HTML5 Boilerplate, curated HTML5 Rocks, and co-created projects like HTML5 Please, mothereffingtextshadow, mothereffinghsl, Move the Web Forward, Mothereffing Animated GIF, W3Fools, chromestatus.com, HTML5 Readiness, Front-end Coding Standards, Type Rendering Project. Oh and I used to host the amazing yayQuery Podcast. I’ve long loved music and kept the Aurgasm music blog up for 10 years.
I am not looking for a new position, but if you’re aching to read more.. here’s my resumé.
- : Breaking Dev Podcast: Blink and the Mobile Web is in Trouble
- : The Web Ahead: Rendering Engines, Vendor Prefixes & Chrome Blink
- : net magazine - May 2013 issue
- : Treehouse
- : Adobe’s Appliness
- : O’Reilly at Fluent Conference
- : Adobe Inspire
- : Web Ahead
- : VentureBeat
- : The Non-Breaking Space Show
- : Shop Talk
- : CSS Tricks
- : Sitepoint podcast
A very-formally-written timeline of shit I’ve done
(I mostly update this because my memory is absolutely abysmal, so I need to overdocument things sometimes. :)
(Late to update this since February 2012 but.. Yeoman debut and launch, RoboHornet, Web Platform Docs, Bower)
- mothereffinganimatedgif.com conceived of, developed and launched in 24 hours with an ad-hoc (and awesome) lazyweb-requests team.
- : HTML5 Boilerplate 3.0, Modernizr 2.5, html5shiv 3.0. Managed all these releases.
- : HTML5 Please launched.
- : Launched movethewebforward.org
- Won Developer of the Year and Modernizr won Open Source App of the Year at the .net awards
- : Published the comprehensive guide to How Browsers Work written by Tali Garsiel.
- : Shipped HTML5 Boilerplate 2.0
- : Contributed an IndexedDB adapter (primarily written by Vivian Li) to Lawnchair
- : Released matchMedia.js polyfill for media query testing.
- : Launched Mobile Boilerplate 1.0, a trusted template for building mobile Web applications. Lead Developer: Shi Chuan. (Press: RWW)
- : Launched HTML5 Boilerplate 1.0, with support for six web servers, beautiful and comprehensive documentation, and a site optimizing build script.
- : Yepnope went 1.0. I worked with Alex Sexton and Ralph Holzmann on code, marketing, and developer relations. It’s all theirs, though. :)
- : WHATWG HTML5 Spec of developers launched. I worked on the search and consulted on the design with Ben Schwarz.
- : JSHint launched. I sorta project managed it, though Anton Kovalyov is the lead. (Press: RWW, BadassJS)
- : Launched Spoon.net IE browsers on iecss.com with Jonathan Neal and some w3fools
- : Led and launched W3Fools, a campaign for better web developer documentation. Afterwards, we discussed changes with both Mozilla and W3Schools and expect both to improve. (Press: RWW, RWW(2))
- : Launched Mothereffinghsl.com, to promote color choosing with HSL instead of RGB.
- : Launched the #html5 freenode IRC channel with involvement from Mozilla & Opera.
- : Launched mothereffingtextshadow.com. (Press: dropshado.ws)
- : Popularized the term ”polyfill” with presentations and resources.
- : Launched the HTML5 Boilerplate with Divya Manian, a set of templates for web developers collecting best practices and making an ideal project starting point.
- : Started as a Developer Programs Engineer at Google on the Chrome team.
- : Proposed Webfont Obfuscation: An interim solution? to the webfont community with Ethan Dunham, to shortcut waiting for WOFF adoption by adding similar protective measures to TTF.
- : Launched HTML5 Readiness with Divya Manian to evangelize the idea that HTML5 is not a massive thing we’re waiting for but rather features that mature differently. (Press: Lifehacker, Mashable, DF)
- : Launched css3please, to make writing css3 easier. Initial prototype by Jonathan Neal, design by Boaz Sender, code from community.
- : Produced six jQuery 1.4 Hawtness videos for the 1.4 launch event.
- : Initialized the Type Rendering Project, to promote better education around webfont rendering quality.
- Coined the term ”FOUT”.
- : Joined the Modernizr project team after rewriting the library. Now Lead Developer; actively developing.
- : Presented two talks at jQuery Boston Conference, on webfonts and jquery performance.
- : Unicorns all over ESPN.com due to a konami code easter egg I wrote with a Cornify payload. (Details: espn.com unicorns, Press: Q13 Fox News (video))
- : Made JSONP-DB with Adam Ribaudo, out of a need for a 100% client-side, cross-domain datastore API.
- : My first mention on Ajaxian. \o/
Other assorted stuff I think is rad
- Technical Reviewer for a chapter in Smashing Book #3 and also jQuery Enlightenment
- Proposed, defended and saw the inclusion of HTML5 data-* attribute support in jQuery.
- Helped get the Google Chrome Frame/IE=Edge header into Rails core.
- Somewhat project managed the IEPP (HTML5 Shiv) v2 release and distribution . Alexander Farkas was lead dev.
… a work in progress / everything is a draft …